When I learned that Costa had come out with a new ‘Coffee, Oat and Banana’ smoothie, I was just a little bit excited. Okay, honestly, I was a lot excited.
1. A national coffee chain is making a vegan smoothie using oat milk!? (You have to ask for no honey, but still).
2. It is basically all of my favourite breakfast things blended together…minus the peanut butter. 3/4 ain’t bad.
3. Coffee. Smoothie. Enough said.
It seemed too good to be true — and in a way, it was. To enjoy one of these delicious smoothies, you’ll have to shell out £3.50. I mean, in the grand scheme of things, that’s not ridiculously expensive for a coffee shop smoothie… but still. I’m not made of cash. I can’t just go throwing money at every fancy smoothie I see.
So I set to work creating my own version of the drink, with a few changes added. I think it’s even more delicious than Costa’s version, and it has the added health benefit of some flaxseed and greens, and it gets a protein boost from the peanut butter. And it’s got chocolate, so there’s that.
1 frozen banana (sliced)
200 ml dairy-free milk (almond, coconut, oat, etc)
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 tbsp peanut butter
1/2 tbsp flax seed
3-4 ice cubes
50 ml of strong brewed coffee
2 tbsp oats
1 small handful of spinach leaves
Pinch of cinnamon (optional)
Vegan sweetener (to taste) if desired (e.g. maple syrup, fruit syrup, etc)
** Note** These are only approximate measurements, not hard and fast rules! If you want it thicker, add less milk and more oats/banana. I generally add milk until the bananas are mostly covered in the blender, but it’s easy to add some more if it’s not blending properly! If you add less milk, it becomes more of a ‘soft serve’ banana ice cream consistency, which is also delicious.
1. Brew your coffee, and set the required amount aside to cool. If it’s still warm when you add it to the smoothie, it doesn’t matter much, but you don’t want it boiling hot.
2. Put all of your ingredients into a strong blender or food processor and blend until it’s smooth and creamy.
3. That’s it! Pour into a glass and enjoy!