I’m a bit obsessed with making energy bites… otherwise known as energy balls. I prefer ‘bites’ as it sounds a little less like a Pokemon attack than an ‘energy ball’. Also, I’m childish and it just sounds a bit funny with ‘balls’, okay? Now that we’ve gotten that out of the way, let’s talk about why these are awesome:
- They are super easy to make. Can you turn on a food processor? Can you roll stuff into a ball? If so, then you are golden, my friend.
- They are a perfect work snack for when you need a mid-day boost. Or a mid-morning boost. Or an afternoon boost. Basically, eat them whenever, wherever (we’re meant to be together…)
- They are sweet, yet packed with good stuff. You can reach for one of these instead of a cake or donut…though, I won’t judge you if you decide to reach for both. You do you.
I’m also a bit obsessed with chai spice ever since I realized how easy it is to make when you’ve got the right spices on hand. I highly recommend stocking up on ginger, cinnamon, allspice, cardamon and cloves — although I can’t take responsibility if everything in your life suddenly becomes chai flavoured and your loved ones start to worry. So I decided to make a chai version of my normal ‘chuck a bunch of stuff in the food processor’ energy bites, and actually keep track of how much I was putting in so that I could share it with you lovely folks.
3/4 cup of dates
1 cup cashews
1/2 cup oats (gluten free if you’d like!)
2 tbsp finely chopped vegan dark chocolate
1 tbsp cocoa powder
2 tbsp chia seeds
1/2 cup of shredded/dessicated coconut (or if you have flakes, put them in the food processor first and pulse until finely shredded) + more to roll bites in if desired!
For Chai spiced version:
1 cup of brewed chai (tea)
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cardamon
pinch of cloves
pinch of allspice
- If making chai spiced version: Brew a strong cup of chai and use the hot tea to soak your dates for at least 5 minutes to soften them.
- Drain the dates and put all ingredients and spices into your food processor. Blend until the texture is as smooth as desired. I added small splashes (about a tbsp at a time) of water at a time to keep things moving along and stirred things around a few times. However, if you have a mega-powerful food processor, you might not need to.
- Scoop out spoonfuls of the mixture and roll into balls — you can choose how big you’d like to make them.
- If you’d like, you can roll them in some cocoa powder or more shredded coconut. I highly recommend doing either!
- Place into the fridge to solidify a bit more. Keep them stored in the fridge for 1-2 weeks.
High fives for easy, delicious, and energy-boosting snacks!